Sunday, October 24, 2010

Some Thoughts on Food Preservation.

One thing I'm always saying to myself is "will this go bad before I buy it?" Luckily, I say it in my head because usually when I say it I'm at the grocery store and unaccompanied, so talking out loud would be suspicious, by most people's standards. So here are some tricks, my children, for making sure that things won't go bad before you can use them all:

Freeze things. Here, I've frozen leftover chili, some overripe bananas, and some clementine slices. Perfect for a quick meal or a smoothie down the road.

But, you say, what if it's not preservation tips I need, but tips on how to ripen something quickly so I can enjoy it? Luckily, I have experience with just that situation.





These sale-priced (but very hard) avocados got my attention at the market, but could I eat them right away? Not a chance. So I have set them near the warm coffeepot, where they will ripen faster than in the cold recesses of the kitchen. Are you taking notes? Good.








And, of course, food isn't the only thing that needs preservation. Love does too. That's why your father and I practice hugging every day. This is a hug style we invented called the "Plain Hug:"

Notice how our arms aren't bent around each other, as they would be in a standard hug. And here's the "Reverse Plain Hug:"

Hopefully one day there will be a competition for hug invention and we will win the grand prize, which will be a shopping spree at Whole Foods and health insurance for life. Consider my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment